2011-12-15 / Local

Chimney flare-up doused

Quick action by Bowdoin fire crew minimizes damage
BY DARCIE MOORE Times Record Staff

BOWDOIN

The Bowdoin Fire Department extinguished a chimney fire Tuesday night at a home on Lewis Hill Road.

The chimney fire at 780 Lewis Hill Road was reported at 6:44 p.m. Fire Chief Tom Garrepy said the first firefighters on scene saw flames shooting out of the top of the chimney.

Garrepy said a stove backed up due to some sort of blockage, causing a light smoke condition in the home, which firefighters ventilated with fans.

Using ladders, two firefighters wearing air packs climbed to the roof and dragged a weighted chain up and down the chimney to clear any debris and break any blockage.

Two firefighters went to the basement to clean out falling debris from the chimney. They communicated with the firefighters on the roof. Firefighters also used mirrors and lights to check the chimney and make sure it was clear of debris.

About a dozen firefighters were on scene for between 45 minutes to an hour, also making sure the fire didn’t extend into the residence, Garrepy said. They used a thermal imaging camera to check the walls and floors in the chimney area. That scan determined that the fire was contained to the chimney.

After extinguishing a chimney fire such as Tuesday’s, Garrepy said the fire department has homeowners sign a form acknowledging the department recommends the homeowners have the chimneys professionally checked by a chimney sweep or mason.

Return to top